Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Engage Immediately

I remember sitting through many first days of school, moving from one class to the next, bored to tears as the teacher went over the syllabus.  These un-engaging hours quickly zapped my excitement for learning.  As a teacher I have learned that it is important to clearly explain my expectations, but I have struggled with how to do this in an engaging manner - especially when I have the same students year after year and they basically know my expectations and just have to adjust to the two or three bright improvements I come up with over the summer.

One of my expectations is that class time will be used for learning thus this year I have created a Jeopardy/Bingo/Find a Person Who...conglomeration of a game board to give to the students on the first day.  They are typically given one free homework pass per quarter, but this year they will earn their free homework passes based on their completion of the game board.  The questions are based on the previous year's standards and my expectations so this task will help me assess retention over the summer and help the students refresh their skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment